A List of Things To Do and What To Look for this at this Weekend’s Alamo City Comic Con.
Okay so last year I gave you my list of ten essential things to look for at Alamo City Comic Con. This year with only a few guest changes, many of the same things apply. So as Apple De La Fuente and his staff prepare to bring us their third annual pop culture extravaganza this weekend at the Henry B. Gonzales Convention Center, Let take a look at this years list. So without further ado, here are ten reasons (in no particular order) on why you should be attending ACCC 2015 this upcoming weekend.
10. The Culture & Food – We’ll start off with one not directly related to the convention itself, but if you are not familiar with San Antonio heritage, make some time and take advantage of being in this beautiful city and experience some South Texas culture. No not geek culture, but our Mexican-American culture that is unique and unlike any other culture you can find in most major cities. This list should include visits to the Alamo, Market Square, and the River Walk. While you are checking these sites out, take a look around and you are guaranteed to find one of many popular Mexican restaurants with some of the most delicious Mexican or Tex-Mex food you will ever dine on.
9. Margaritaville – Okay, I’m not saying to come out to ACCC to get trashed, but while you are checking out one of the many fine Mexican restaurants, you may as well try one of the many famous Margarita’s that our city has to offer. The good thing here is that the convention venue is located right in the heart of downtown San Antonio near the River Walk, where so many establishments specialize in the Frozen Margarita (see Rosario’s, La Margarita, and Rita’s on the River).
8. Anarchy in S.A. – If you are a fan of the FX Network series SONS OF ANARCHY, then you are not going to want to miss this! A total of five actors from the hit show will be in attendance this weekend, and with a VIP package available, fans will be able to get up close and personal with autographs and photo ops.
7. Alamo City Film Festival - The first annual Alamo City Film Festival makes its debut, coinciding with Alamo City Comic Con this year. Celebrating feature films, short films, and documentaries from all over the world, make sure to check out this inaugural event at the Lila Cockrell Theatre.
6. The Art – This year my artist spotlight includes personal favorites Rob Guillory (Chew), Katie Cook (My Little Pony), Larry Hama (GI Joe) and Bob Layton (co-founder of Valiant Comics). In addition, there will be many other artists from around the country and locally, so make sure to swing by Artists Alley and buy a print or two!
5. The Walking Dead’s Most Hated! – Once again ACCC is bringing actors (or in this case former actors) from the hit television series on AMC, this time with Jon Bernthal (Shane Walsh) and Michael Rooker (Merle Dixon). Two of the most despised characters on the show and the two that fans love to hate, these two fan favorites are sure to be a huge attraction this weekend!
4. Television Greatness - Two of the actors featured this year at ACCC 2015 are none other than Lawrence Gilliard Jr and RJ Mitte, from the critically acclaimed television shows The Wire and Breaking Bad respectively. HBO’s The Wire and AMC’s Breaking Bad are arguably two of the greatest dramas in television history. Also in attendance will be Edward James Olmos (Battlestar Galactica 2004 – 2009), Kristian Nairn (Game of Thrones), and Francois Chau (Lost), all from award-winning and fan favorite shows.
3. Cosplay – Even the featured cosplayers will admit, the best part about cosplay at any convention are the fans! The fans bring it every year, and Alamo City Comic Con is no exception. Look for a huge variety of cosplay this weekend, as well as Ivy Doomkitty, Leeanna Vamp, and Ana-Mia.
2. Wrestling Legends – For those die-hard wrestling fans, Alamo City will feature such legends as Ric Flair, Chyna, Jerry Lawler, and many others. San Antonio has always been a huge fan of all things wresting, and this weekend they will have an opportunity to see some of their all time favorites!
1.. Stan Lee - The legendary former Marvel editor-in-chief, president, and chairman…the Generalissimo himself will be in the Alamo City this weekend. Lee has co-created such iconic superhero characters like Spider-Man, The Hulk, Iron-Man, and the X-Men. Nuff said!
As always, let’s not forget the origin of original con, comic books! The main reason why these conventions exist today. make sure you seek out the comic book vendors and pick up some old back issues or some of the newest and latest titles. If you aren’t sure what you want, ask vendors (like the guys over at Heroes and Fantasies) and they will be more than happy to give you some suggestions. In addition, you will almost be guaranteed to see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Voice Actors, Video Games, and plenty of toys. Something for everyone this weekend at the 2015 Alamo City Comic Con. See you there!
Photos courtesy of Alamo City Comic Con