Our favorite DC Comics consist of five amazing titles, all from the Gotham universe. Like the other big publisher, our DC coverage is minimal to say the least, however reading these particular titles last year was an absolute joy for all of us.
5. Batgirl- The title that was so good under Gail Simone, has not lost anything with the new creative team of Brenden Fletcher, Cameron Stewart, and Babs Tarr. In fact, the series seems to be more appealing to a much wider audience now, thanks to its more vigorous attitude.
4. Batman – There are two reasons why Batman is one of the overall best-selling comic books month after month: Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo.
3. Batman Eternal – Says Kara Ligon: “Batman EVERY SINGLE WEEK?! Yes, Please! When I heard of a yearlong weekly comic centering on my favorite Superhunk, I was a little concerned that the story wouldn’t be enough to keep me coming back week after week. Eternal proved me wrong and continues to deliver more twists and greater villains that only make this series better as it continues.”
2. Harley Quinn – Stephen Porferl says, “This book was probably the culmination of a lifetime love affair by Amanda Palmer and Jimmy Palmiotti. They nailed the character, while simultaneously giving her new life and new depth”.
1. Gotham Academy – A fan of hers since Killjoys, one of the highlights of my year was meeting Becky Cloonan, and by the way Becky…thank you for reminding me that you were involved in this project called Gotham Academy. Her work on this extraordinary series along with Brenden Fletcher and Karl Kerschl has just added another fine accomplishment to her already impressive resume. Easily the best DC title and overall one of the best new comics of 2014! Lauren Eyer writes, “Well, I have to start by saying….I don’t really read DC. Don’t hate me. But when Becky Cloonan’s name is attached to anything…..I picked it up. I am a huge fan of Cloonan, but primarily her self-published works which she both write and illustrates. I was excited to see that she was writing GA, but concerned when I found that she would not do the art. NBD. The art is fantastic. The story is great. As someone who is familiar with, but not necessarily drawn to, the DC Universe, I am HOOKED. So well written, beautiful art, great colors, and an overall fun read. Like Hogwarts in the DC Universe. During this busy season, it has honestly been one of the only titles that I have kept up with religiously!”