A List of What To Do and What To Look for this Weekend at Alamo City Comic Con.
Only a few more days until Apple De La Fuente and staff kick off the second annual Alamo City Comic Con at the Henry B. Gonzales Convention Center in downtown San Antonio, Texas. Last years inaugural event was such a huge hit, the organizers have their work cut out for them in topping the hype and success of last years convention. I had the pleasure of covering this pop culture phenomenon last year, and have been eagerly anticipating this day for quite some time. That being said, here are the top ten reasons (in reverse order) on why you should be attending ACCC 2014 this upcoming weekend.
10. The Culture & Food – We’ll start off with one not directly related to the convention itself, but if you are not familiar with San Antonio heritage, make some time and take advantage of being in this beautiful city and experience some South Texas culture. No not geek culture, but our Mexican-American culture that is unique and unlike any other culture you can find in most major cities. This list should include visits to the Alamo, Market Square, and the River Walk. While you are checking these sites out, take a look around and you are guaranteed to find one of many popular Mexican restaurants with some of the most delicious Mexican or Tex-Mex food you will ever dine on.
9. Margaritaville – Okay, I’m not saying to come out to ACCC and get trashed, but while you are checking out one of the many fine Mexican restaurants, you may as well try one of the many famous Margarita’s that our city has to offer. The good thing here is that the convention venue is located right in the heart of downtown San Antonio near the River Walk, where so many establishments specialize in the Frozen Margarita (see Rosario’s, La Margarita, and Rita’s on the River).
9. The Eighties – Children of the eighties will love this retro line-up that mixes some Weird Science, Cobra Kai, a Ghostbuster, and many more, as ACCC flashes back with some classic eighties movie actors. Guests include Ilan Mitchell-Smith, Anthony Michael Hall, Martin Kove, Andrew McCarthy, Ernie Hudson, Esai Morales, and many others.
8. Fright Fest – With horror conventions like Monster-Con and Screamfest attracting hordes of fans, Alamo City Comic Con features an impressive and frightening line-up of some of our favorite boogey men from classic horror films. This terrifying panel includes guests Robert Englund (Freddy Krueger from A Nightmare on Elm Street), Nick Castle (Michael Myers from Halloween), Linda Blair (The Exorcist), Ken Kirzinger (Jason from Friday the Thirteenth), John Kassir (Tales from the Crypt), and others.
7. The Art – With the spotlight on such industry giants like Neal Adams, David Finch, Arthur Suydam, and many other comic book artist veterans, make sure you check out every table and booth in artist alley where you are sure to find a wide range of talented local artists.
5. Star Trek Mini-Reunion - ACCC is boldly bringing you some classic Star Trek actors that includes George Takei, Nichelle Nichols, and Walter Koenig. The Star Trek franchise remains one of the most popular Sci-Fi and pop-culture attractions and still has one of the largest followings in entertainment industry history.
4. The Walking Dead – The impressive list includes longtime veteran actors from one of the most popular shows on television today. Scott Wilson (Hershel), Iron-E Singleton (T-Dog), and Chandler Riggs (Carl Grimes) are some of the more recognizable faces included in this line-up. Also appearing will be some of the younger cast members including Brighton Sharbino and Kyla Kennedy, who both delivered powerful performances in supporting roles last season and one of the most memorable episodes of TWD to date.
3. Cosplay – ACCC 2014 will feature an impressive mix of international, national, state, and local cosplayers. Guests include Nadyasonika, Ivy Doomkitty, Krystle Starr, Sean Maximus, Christina Faye, and many others. If that weren’t enough, one of the best parts of these conventions are the thousands in attendance that also show up in costume, which really adds another element to a con that is just a pure joy to witness and so much fun.
2. Stan Lee – The legendary former Marvel editor-in-chief, president, and chairman…the Generalissimo himself will be in the Alamo City this weekend. Lee has co-created such iconic superhero characters like Spider-Man, The Hulk, Iron-Man, and the X-Men. Nuff said!
1. Because Comics - The reason why conventions take place and why media like film, television, and video games put out the awesome programming that they do is largely due to the comic book industry. Make sure you seek out the comic book vendors and pick up some old back issues or some of the newest and latest titles. If you are not sure what you want, ask vendors (like the guys over at Heroes and Fantasies) and they will be more than happy to give you some suggestions.
In addition, you will also be able to find Power Rangers, Wrestlers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Voice Actors, Video Games, and Toys. Something for everyone this weekend at the 2014 Alamo City Comic Con. See you there.
Photos courtesy of Alamo City Comic Con